Feathermap helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

News feed bugged

I'm seeing two new posts, and then a bunch of stuff from 2015. Am I doing something wrong? I swapped from Top to Recent and back again to see if that would fix it, but no dice.

I am technologically challenged.
This is unfortunately one of the weirder bugs we've had on the site. It seems to be a weird interaction between a lot of activity taking place on unfriended/hidden items in the news feed and how the page loads recent items.

I'll dig around in it some this evening and see if I can figure out exactly what's going on.
For what it's worth, I also have this bug. My feed is a couple of recent posts, and then defaults to old Feathermap Podcast posts from 2015. It has actually done this for awhile now.
[5.OOC] Beltar: Hammer of What The Fuck Were You Thinking
http://www.toomanyannas.com
"Þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg. (That was overcome, so may this be.)" - from The Deor
Allrighty, here's what's going on!

The main feed is set by default to only show updates from the previous 7 days (it'll load 25 items at a time, auto-loading more or giving a "load more" button). What should happen when you hit the end of the 7 days is the message "There are no new feeds to view at this time" gets displayed and nothing additional will load.

What's really happening is the code that inserts page updates into the feed is misbehaving and showing random older posts from pages you're following - most likely you're only seeing updates from the guild page your character is a member of.

My educated guess is that there aren't enough recent items that would have been displayed in the feed to hit that number of 25, so the old page updates are getting bugged in there instead.

The good news is that you're not missing anything! It just means the characters your account is friended with are probably not very active on the site currently and the feed is quiet. If you have hidden a lot of items from showing up in your feed (forum posts, friend notices, etc) that might also contribute.

I'm going to update the feed to use 14 days instead of 7, which should help a bit - but unfortunately until we can really dig into the code this bug will be sticking around for a while.
Murky said...

Allrighty, here's what's going on!

The main feed is set by default to only show updates from the previous 7 days (it'll load 25 items at a time, auto-loading more or giving a "load more" button). What should happen when you hit the end of the 7 days is the message "There are no new feeds to view at this time" gets displayed and nothing additional will load.

What's really happening is the code that inserts page updates into the feed is misbehaving and showing random older posts from pages you're following - most likely you're only seeing updates from the guild page your character is a member of.

My educated guess is that there aren't enough recent items that would have been displayed in the feed to hit that number of 25, so the old page updates are getting bugged in there instead.

The good news is that you're not missing anything! It just means the characters your account is friended with are probably not very active on the site currently and the feed is quiet. If you have hidden a lot of items from showing up in your feed (forum posts, friend notices, etc) that might also contribute.

I'm going to update the feed to use 14 days instead of 7, which should help a bit - but unfortunately until we can really dig into the code this bug will be sticking around for a while.

What you are saying is everyone RP more and it will show correctly?
No amount of guilt can change the past. No amount of worry can change the future.
Kalaallexin said...

What you are saying is everyone RP more and it will show correctly?

More that the bug is only really obvious when there's not a lot going on.
Murky meant to say yes, everyone RP more and that will fix the newsfeed.
See your world through my eyes.

Murky meant to say yes, everyone RP more and that will fix the newsfeed.

Better answer Smile
No amount of guilt can change the past. No amount of worry can change the future.
Kalaallexin said...

Better answer Smile

There's a reason Algalon is in charge of important things like Reorigination while I poke at the website with a mostly-sharp stick.
Y'all rock! thanks for looking into this.

heart